What Is Fractional Laser Resurfacing?

Generic placeholder image

A Facial Rejuvenation Procedure Explained

Our patients are often curious about the different options available for facial rejuvenation. This month, we’re taking a look at fractional laser resurfacing, an advanced technological treatment Dr. Scott performs on patients to minimize the appearance of fine lines around the eyes.

How Does Fractional Laser Resurfacing Work?

It partially removes the outermost layers of damaged or wrinkled skin. Typically, 65% of the skin is treated, which allows the remaining 35% of untreated skin to repopulate the entire skin surface with smoother skin. During the procedure, the laser dots the skin, which leads to immediate and visible tightening.

If you’re interested in minimizing fine lines and wrinkles around your eyes, you may be a good candidate for this procedure.

How Long Does It Take To Recover?

Basic healing takes 10–14 days. This is many times faster than previous fullresurfacing technology allowed for. With fractional laser resurfacing, patients will experience some puffiness and swelling following the procedure as well as some crusting of the resurfaced areas as the skin rebuilds itself. Each patient is different, and Dr. Scott and his staff will make sure you know what to expect prior to, during, and following the procedure, including how much time it will take to recover.

How Long Do The Results Last?

Many patients see improvement for years to come following this procedure. You can protect your investment and help the positive effects last longer by wearing sunglasses and sunscreen to minimize UV damage. Also, avoid too much time in the sun and don’t smoke. Finally, Dr. Scott will give patients a thorough explanation of the best way to care for their skin after the procedure. Carefully following these post-op instructions will help to ensure a speedy recovery to the newly formed skin.

As with any treatment, some risks are associated with fractional laser resurfacing. The team at Eye Plastic Associates works hard to ensure all patients are informed of the risks, benefits, and recovery associated with any procedure. If you’d like to learn more about fractional laser resurfacing, give us a call (703) 620-4300 or visit us on the web at EyePlasticMD.com to book a consultation.



Meet Dr. Scott - Your Dedicated Oculoplastic Surgeon

Renowned for his commitment to enhancing your eyelid and facial appearance while prioritizing your safety. Dr. Scott is board-certified in Ophthalmology and has specialized fellowship training in Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.  With extensive training at prestigious institutions, including the Medical College of Virginia, Manhattan Eye, Ear, & Throat Hospital, and the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Dr. Scott brings a wealth of expertise to his craft. His accolades, including recognition as a Top Plastic Surgeon by Northern Virginia Magazine, underscore his dedication to excellence. Dr. Scott's passion lies in helping you achieve the best aesthetic results while safeguarding your eyesight.

Location: Fairfax - Northern Virginia

Areas of Expertise: Cosmetic laser eyelid surgery ( blepharoplasty ), ptosis surgery, treatment of benign and malignant eyelid cancers, correction of eyelid malposition – ectropion, entropion repair, and Botox and filler treatment.